Amazon Kindle holiday shopping weekend sales doubled this year
Over the weekend, Amazon pushed its Kindle products hard and even temporarily lowered the Kindle Fire down to just $129 for Cyber Monday. Now with the weekend and Cyber Monday over, Amazon has announced that the company’s holiday shopping weekend sales doubled over what they saw last year during this time frame.
While this sounds like great news, this press release from Amazon tells us little to nothing.Like many other companies out there, Amazon loves to brag about how products are selling well but doesn’t give us real sales or unit numbers to back up what they are saying. We might not ever know the exact number of devices sold, but we do know that out of the ten best-selling products on Amazon worldwide since September 6th, nine of the devices were Kindle devices, Kindle accessories and Amazon digital content.
The big takeaway is that Amazon is still doing well during the holiday season, even if competition in the tablet (and e-reader) market continues to become even tougher with new devices popping up all the time. Did you pick up an Amazon Kindle product during the holiday shopping weekend?
Worldwide Kindle Device Sales More Than Double Last Year’s Record Over Holiday Shopping Weekend
Cyber Monday is biggest day ever for Kindle sales worldwide
The top 4 spots on the worldwide Amazon best sellers list since launch nearly three months ago are Kindle e-readers and Kindle Fires
SEATTLE–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Nov. 27, 2012– (NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon today announced that this Black Friday and Cyber Monday were the best ever for the Kindle family, and the popular new Kindle e-readers and tablets remain at the top of Amazon’s best sellers list worldwide.
Milestones for Kindle sales this holiday shopping weekend include:
- Cyber Monday 2012 was the biggest day ever for Kindle sales worldwide.
- The top 4 spots on the worldwide Amazon best sellers list since launch nearly three months ago are Kindle e-readers and Kindle Fires.
- To celebrate Cyber Monday, Amazon.com offered a special deal—just $129 for the Kindle Fire. Customers flocked to the deal, making this the biggest Cyber Monday deal ever for Amazon.com.
- Kindle Fire HD is the most gifted and most wished for product on Amazon worldwide since launch.
- 9 out of the top 10 best-selling products on Amazon worldwide since 9/6 are Kindles, Kindle accessories and digital content.
“Kindle e-readers and Kindle Fires have held the top 4 spots on the Amazon worldwide best sellers list since launch, and that was before the busiest shopping weekend of the year,” said Dave Limp, Vice President, Amazon Kindle. “We’re excited that customers made this Black Friday and Cyber Monday the best ever for Kindle worldwide—Cyber Monday was the biggest day ever for Kindle sales, and we’re looking forward to millions of customers opening a new Kindle this holiday season.”
The Kindle family is available for purchase on Amazon.com as well as at retailers like Best Buy,Radio Shack and Staples in time for the holidays:
- The $69 Kindle—small, light and fast, Kindle is the perfect entry-level Kindle for any reader.
- Kindle Paperwhite—the world’s most advanced e-reader—only $119.
- Kindle Paperwhite 3G—with the unparalleled added convenience of free 3G, no hunting for or paying for Wi-Fi hot spots, no monthly fees, and no annual contracts—only $179.
- Kindle Fire—all-new upgraded version of the best-selling standard definition Kindle Fire with a faster processor, twice the memory and longer battery life – all for an even lower breakthrough price—only $159.
- Kindle Fire HD—the world’s most-advanced 7” tablet, with a stunning custom HD display, the fastest Wi-Fi, exclusive Dolby audio, powerful processor and graphics engine, and 16 GB of storage—only $199.
- Kindle Fire HD 8.9”—comes with all the same advanced technology on a stunning 8.9” large-screen 1920×1200 HD display with 254 ppi and a powerful OMAP 4470 processor and graphics engine—only $299.
- Kindle Fire HD 8.9” 4G—the same high-end large-screen HD tablet, 32 GB of storage, plus ultra-fast 4G LTE wireless powered by the latest generation 4G chipset, and groundbreaking$49.99 one year 4G LTE AT&T data package—only $499.